Inspired by hybrid analog/digital wavetable distortion devices, Tactical Nuke was created as a way to creatively explore what happens when you mangle audio. From more gentle analog style distortion, to absolute digital destruction, Tactical Nuke allows you to turn any signal into something new and unique. With 512 built-in wavetables, and the ability to import your own, the possibilities are limitless. Tactical Nuke contains the following features:
- 74 Presets made by Mick Gordon.
- Preamp Distortion -- Warm, analog style distortion that can range from subtle warmth to extreme guitar pedal distortion.
- Tone -- By-passable tone control to adjust the frequency characteristics of your signal. This is located before the preamp distortion to give you the most tonal flexibility.
- Sample Reduction -- Lowers the sampling rate of your incoming signal to create insane aliasing and artifacts.
- Oversampling -- With insane distortion comes insane aliasing. Oversampling allows you to keep your processing free from aliasing.
- Wavetable Distortion -- The centerpiece of Tactical Nuke; wavetable distortion uses a small clip of audio, a “wavetable”, as a waveshaper for your audio. Tactical Nuke comes with 512 tables, up to two of which can be selected and blended between. You can also import your own wavetables for endless variety.
- Bit Manipulation -- Tactical Nuke comes with 3 ways to manipulate the digital amplitude of your signals:
- Bit Crushing -- Lowers the bit depth of the signal anywhere from 16 bits to a single bit.
- Masking Knob -- Does a bit mask of your signal with a given integer based on the number of bits the knob is set to.
- Bit Buttons -- The same as bit masking with a knob, except you have full control over each bit to experiment with.
- Output Filter -- Since extreme distortion can cause some unpleasant harshness, this two pole, slightly resonant output filter is there to tame high frequencies to desirable levels.
- Multi-Resolution UI -- Tactical Nuke’s UI is automatically adjusted to suit your display resolution. All modern resolutions are supported from 1080p to 4k.
- VST3/AAX/AU 64Bit OSX Plugin Formats
- VST3/AAX 32/64 Bit Windows Plugin Formats
- User Manual
- Windows 7+
- Mac OSX 10.8+
- Pro Tools 11+
- Studio One
- FL Studio
- Ableton / Ableton 10+ (Windows)
This video covers the basics of Tactical Nuke and all of its features.
This is a musical demo that used Tactical Nuke on nearly every single track (it was only absent on some of the transition effects). The second video is a full walk-through of that mix. I go into detail about how Tactical Nuke was used on every track and share some practical tips on how to get the most out of the plugin in your own music.
You can even download the tracks to the demo above for free and mix them yourself by clicking here.
Tactical Nuke In Depth
These two videos go over the bit manipulation and wavetable distortion sections in more depth. These videos are for people who want a deeper look at what's going on under the hood to help them get the most out of Tactical Nuke.